One of the rules to not getting stoned to death when living in San Francisco is to be environmentally friendly. I believe our great city still holds the top spot for highest percentage of recycled waste in the nation, which last I heard was close to 50%. There are also laws forbidding restaurants from using Styrofoam or any stores distributing plastic bags. I even get looked at funny for not drinking my Starbucks in a personal mug. (Or it could be because I'm supporting a chain store instead of a local, independent shop owner, but that's another story entirely.)
When deciding what first toys to buy for Dash before his arrival, of course I tried to find the environmentally friendly options. That's when I came across West Paw Design, a Montana company who believes in having the best for your pet while making as minimal an environmental impact as possible.
Papa Dash and I chose the Huck (the ball) and Hurley (the stick) for Dash. He couldn't have been happier! Every toy he received was given a name, so we could tell Dash to bring a specific toy to play with. Being the out-of-the-box thinkers we are, these toys were named Huck and Hurley. Hehe. The other toys in this picture are named Bear, Giraffey, and Knotty. Can you guess which is which?
Hurley, poor fellow, didn't last long. He went missing not long after Dash came home. I still have no idea where he went.
Huck, on the other hand, had a pretty long run as far as puppy toys go. We had him up until a couple of weeks ago. He survived many camping trips and park sessions over the past few months, but his ultimate demise was at Baker Beach. We tossed the ball just too deep into the surf and Dash was too intimidated by the freezing cold waves to run after it. Papa Dash and I watched it slowly get sucked into wave after wave, then finally drifted out past the shore break into the open water.
Another couple with their dog even stopped to wish us their condolences. They said they watched the whole thing happen from a distance and couldn't take their eyes off the escaping ball, like how people can't help but look at a car accident. Then we all stood silent and helpless in a line along the beach, just watching Huck float away...
Huck, on the other hand, had a pretty long run as far as puppy toys go. We had him up until a couple of weeks ago. He survived many camping trips and park sessions over the past few months, but his ultimate demise was at Baker Beach. We tossed the ball just too deep into the surf and Dash was too intimidated by the freezing cold waves to run after it. Papa Dash and I watched it slowly get sucked into wave after wave, then finally drifted out past the shore break into the open water.
Another couple with their dog even stopped to wish us their condolences. They said they watched the whole thing happen from a distance and couldn't take their eyes off the escaping ball, like how people can't help but look at a car accident. Then we all stood silent and helpless in a line along the beach, just watching Huck float away...



