I've heard lots of stories about coyotes in San Francisco. In the Presidio area there have been reports of people's dogs being stalked or even attacked. I think there were even reports of toddlers being stalked as they played in their backyards. Tonight as Papa and Dash were running their usual Land's End route, they came across a couple frantically calling back their two off-leash dogs who were trying to scramble up a straight rock cliff.
What could be so interesting that dogs would try to crawl up a vertical surface? ...A coyote! There it was, staring down at everyone from the top of the rock cliff. Papa said the coyote was about the size of a German shepherd! I totally wish I was there. That's one of the animals on my "they don't have those back home in Hawaii" list.
I don't think our mini Aussie puppy even noticed the coyote was up there. He's not very big on using his nose. I think he's definitely more visual, even with his toys. Hide them under a blanket and you may as well have mailed them to Siberia. Does anyone else have the same reaction from their dogs?
Hmm- It seems like the Coyotes around here(Eugene, OR) are smaller... 20-35 lbs-ish? Anyway... Kirby is pretty nervous around other dogs usually, so I don't know how he'd do around a coyote! He definitely uses his nose... a lot. He is constantly sniffing (not super helpful in house training) and he ALWAYS knows if we have a treat or not. I've even played a game with him where I hide a treat in one of my hands behind my back and say "touch!" and he always knows where the treat is. It's pretty fun, and he's a great vacuum for the kitchen. ;)
ReplyDeleteCool, we have smaller coyotes but the wolves are even more scary. Last summer we had a pack on the outskirts of town that were attacking peoples dogs as they walked with them on the trails.
ReplyDeleteToday we had another Moose encounter. Going out for a walk we meet a young male that was very curious and then coming back saw him again and a cow moose as well. Ryker was more interested in his ball.
Wow I've never heard of them that big either! The ones we have here (PA) are like.. Border Collie sized? They just look like big foxes with long legs! But I think they're so creepy!
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHA! after i told papa how everyone keeps saying coyotes aren't that big, he said maybe he was caught up in the moment and overestimated its size. :) i should have been there to verify!
ReplyDelete