Pages

8.03.2010

butt hair

I've been searching online photos for a picture of a dog with long butt hair, like an Aussie or a Sheltie, but apparently people don't usually photograph the hair on their dog's butts.  (Imagine that!)  I wanted to demonstrate the exceptionally long fur that was growing from Dash's hind legs and butt area.  It was sort of like this:
I don't know about everyone else, but this long butt hair was a real nuisance in the hygiene area.  Every time there was something or other stuck and it was never a pleasant discovery.  So, for the last few months I've been trimming Dash's behind with a pair of regular scissors.  We don't take pictures of our dog's butt either, but this one was by chance:
I trim his stubby tail area then go down each of his hind legs, holding the hair between my fingers as a guide like my stylist does.  The first time he was pretty squirmy, but I did it for the third time last night and he was totally calm about it.  It's not a super short clip, but it's enough to keep things neat and clean.  Does anyone else do this?

4 comments:

  1. We have the butt hair issue as well, but honestly just let it grow out of control. Any bathroom issue becomes quite an issue, but since we switched foods, it hasn't been much of a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never noticed the butt hair because Roob's hair hasn't gotten long enough yet. But after reading this, I sat down to watch a movie. Roob jumped on the couch and I happened to look down and there it was....long fuzz was coming out of the back of his thighs. It seems like it's longer than the rest of the hair. Uh..Oh....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dash is growing up! His adult coat is coming in.
    Aussies have tail feathers! They also get beautiful feathers on the backs of their front legs. It is part of their charm. When Ryker runs and jumps it swishes this way and that! As long as his stools are formed it never seems to be a problem but he did have a bout of diarrhea this summer and he got freq. butt washes in the shower till that cleared up!
    We did clip his behind once when he was about 9 months old but he just did not look right and so he grew it back out. The only part of an Aussie that I have heard needs trimming is between the paw pads and the tail and one site mentioned triming "dread locks" behind the ears...but that is for show dogs so we just stick to tail and paws now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I'm not mistaken, Golden Retrievers have butt hair too :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.