Pages

7.22.2010

love is a work of art


Even though the wedding is over, I loved this post I wrote on our wedding website so much that I thought I’d share it here also…

Note – this has nothing to do with dogs, unless you want to stretch the metaphor to apply to your relationship with your puppy…

07/26/10.  My favorite one-liner from our Engaged Encounter weekend came from a speech by Father Xavier.  He said, "Love is a work of art."  I am really moved by this simple sentiment and hope to be able to embody it like Dave & Lorraine and Joe & Maria (our Engaged Encounter hosts) have.

Father Xavier explained that if you consider love as a work of art, it will help you to understand that like all great masterpieces, love does not magically manifest itself as a perfect specimen.  Since I was in band, I personalized the example of love as a symphony.  To have a successful performance, each musician not only had to practice the current songs being played, but has probably practiced for years prior in many aspects of music to hone the skills demonstrated at the concert.  It is through the culmination of the hard work and conscious efforts of multiple people that a symphony can be considered great. 

Sometimes they probably don't feel like practicing and sometimes they probably don't like the song they are given, but a great musician feels the music in their hearts and continues on no matter what.  Sometimes certain songs are more challenging than others, but a great musician will still work at it for the joy of hearing the beautiful music that results.  For the most part, there is a direct correlation between the sweetness of the concert and the practice put in behind the scenes.  I think this is also very true of love.

Love is just like the symphony.  It is not a fairy tale that magically transports you to the happily ever after part.  Love is a decision you make every day, and something that requires constant work.  I think anyone who tells you their happy relationship just happens totally naturally is either lying, or is missing out on the potential for something even greater.  All those movies they fed us as little girls have set us up for disappointment.  I mean, just imagine the musician who goes through life never practicing?  He just picks up the instrument when it's time to perform.  Sure he could sound okay, but is he playing to his fullest potential?  Now imagine the artist who invests time and effort into his craft, and imagine the difference in quality you would hear at his concert.

So when things get tough and it may seem like giving up or moving on is the best choice, just think of love as a work of art and really consider whether you have actively worked at and contributed to the masterpiece, or if you have been letting your instrument collect dust.

:) At the end of that day’s session during a betrothal letter to my fiancé, I promised him there would always be beautiful music playing in our hearts and in our marriage.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a beautiful sentiment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I needed that. It was beautiful.

    The Duchess

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.